Another great bonus breakfast recipe! I adapted this one from the Plants Only Kitchen Cookbook (which I LOVE… do yourself a favor and check it out). It’s great because you don’t have to worry about everyone not getting served at the same time. It soaks up the compote well, which gives it an amazing burst of color and flavor. Plus, it’s like having cake for breakfast… which, who doesn’t love?
- 1 banana
- 2 c almond milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup.
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 c flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
Blend banana, almond milk, maple syrup, and chia seeds together. Let sit as you whisk dry ingredients together. Coat a large ovenproof skillet with oil and let heat on medium-low. Preheat your broiler. Pour batter in and let cook for 4-5 minutes (should be bubbling on top). Place in the oven on the bottom rack for 10 minutes. It should be slightly browned on top. Slice and serve with compote.
- 2 c berries (I used a mix of blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- drizzle of maple syrup
Mix ingredients in a small saucepan on medium heat. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes (while cake is in the oven).
Tips/Things I Would Change:
- For a thicker compote, skip the water (though I like the way the liquid soaks in the cake).
- I made the wet (without the chia seeds) and dry mix the night before (separate), and it worked well. That way you can wake up, add chia seeds to wet ingredients, combine with dry ingredients, and cook.
- Make sure not to over-mix, so the pancake rises.
- This recipe would also work on a grill/campfire for extra fun!