- 1 1/2 c vegan butter/coconut oil
- 1 1/4 c powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 c flour
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c chopped dried cranberries
- 3 oranges worth of orange zest
- 1 c sparkling sugar to roll dough in
Beat butter for about 2 mins until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture on low until combined and dough looks even. Fold in dried cranberries and orange zest. Divide dough in half and form two 9×2 in rectangles. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Line 2 baking sheets and preheat oven to 350. Roll dough logs in sparkling sugar and slice 1/4 in thick cookies. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 5 mins, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
Tips/Things I Would Change:
- These cookies freeze really well in the log shape. Just place in the fridge overnight to defrost and continue to slice and bake as directed.
- I would like to try using fresh cranberries instead of dry. I’m not sure how it would effect the texture, but I think it would offer a nice pop of flavor.
- I would also experiment with browning the butter or using coconut oil to add depth to the flavor.