Oh no! You forgot tomorrow is your brother’s birthday… or the PTA bake sale… or your turn to bring dessert to the potluck. Whatever it is, this recipe has your back. In one bowl and under 15 mins, these cupcakes come together for any occasion. In fact, you likely have all the ingredients in your pantry already. Don’t be fooled by its simplicity, this staple recipe is a crowd pleaser that shouldn’t be overlooked. The cake is tender and moist, the perfect base for frosting. The fraction of time they take to make is infinitely worth the results over anything store bought.
- 1 + 3/4 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c almond milk + 1 tbsp white vinegar mixed (let sit for 5 mins before adding)
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- frosting (see recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350 and line a standard cupcake tin. Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add almond milk mixture, olive oil, vanilla, and any mix-ins. Pour batter evenly between each tin, should be right to the top of each. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
Beat butter, shortening, and cream cheese in a paddle-fitted stand mixer for 2-3 mins on medium high until fluffy. Switch to low and add corn syrup and vanilla, beating for 2-3 minutes more. Add sugar, salt, baking powder, and citric acid until just combined on low. Then, switch the mixer back to medium high and beat for 3 more minutes until fluffy, smooth, and almost glossy.
Tips/Things I Would Change:
- Easily make these Funfetti by adding about a 1/2 c sprinkles. (or maybe Oreos, more birthday crumbles, chocolate chips, or chopped berries)
- Feel free to make these even easier by using store bought frosting. Most canned vanilla frostings are accidentally vegan– including Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, and Duncan Hines. If you have a little extra time, you can toss one of these in a stand mixer for a much lighter, homemade tasting frosting.
- I topped with my COOKIE CRUMBLES
- I got the base for this recipe from