Happy Mother’s Day! I created this magical mashup for my best friend Alexia’s birthday, but it is definitely a treat sure to please any mom out there (It’s one of my mom’s favorites for sure). It’s a spin off my classic brown butter caramel pretzel cookie recipe, which is always a crowd favorite. For as long as I’ve know her, Alexia has been addicted to 2 things: peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. This recipe was a no brainer and a big step up from the chips ahoy and Reeces puffs we snacked on after school. The pretzels and peanuts mixed into the batter add a nice, savory pop that compliments the overt sweetness of the cookie itself. They are thicccck, indulgent, and everything you want out of a good cookie.
- 1 3/4 c AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 14 tbsp vegan butter/coconut oil
- 3/4 c dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp flax+3 tbsp water mixed
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- 3/4 c dark chocolate chips
- 2 heaping handfuls of crushed pretzels
- 1 heaping handful of roasted peanuts lightly crushed
- 16 dark chocolate peanut butter cups
Line 2 baking sheets and preheat oven to 375. Melt 10 tbsps of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk constantly for about 1-3 mins, until starting to turn brown and developing a nutty smell. Transfer to large bowl and add remaining butter until melted and incorporated. Add brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, and salt and whisk until combined. Add flax mixture and applesauce and whisk rigorously for about 30 seconds. Let stand for 3 minutes, then repeat mixing for 30 seconds. Repeat process two more times. Mixture should be smooth and shiny. Use a rubber spatula to fold in dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips, pretzels, and peanuts into mixture. Create 16 three tablespoon size dough balls. Wrap each one around each of the peanut butter cups. Place on 2 lined baking sheet 2 in apart. Bake for 10-14 minutes until browned on the bottom and firming up top.
Tips/Things I Would Change:
- If you don’t have peanut butter cups on hand, you can wrap your dough balls around a square from a chocolate bar and about a tsp of peanut butter for the same effect.
- My favorite peanut butter cups to use are Unreal and Justin’s, but obviously use whatever you’d like. Both brands also have great almond/cashew butter options that are AMAZING for anyone with an allergy out there.
- These are just as great out of the oven as cooled in my opinion, just an FYI.