I have been SUPER busy lately. I’m getting ready to go off to college soon, so we’ve been doing and traveling a lot for that. However, this dessert is PERFECT for busy seasons (especially over summer) because it is so easy and quick to make. It is customizable, and requires very few ingredients. It’s actually deceptive that I’m even putting this recipe on this blog because it doesn’t even require baking. Don’t be fooled by its ease, though. This “cake” is jam packed with flavor and is a perfectly refreshing summer treat after a long, hot day. I made it for the 4th of July and it was a hit!
- 1 lb pitted cherries
- 1/2 c cornstarch
- 1 small jar of maraschino cherries
- 1/4 c water.
- 1 tub of cocowhip
- 2 packs of nabisco graham crackers
Place your cherries in a large saucepan on medium heat. Strain your maraschino cherries over a small bowl in order to reserve the syrup. Add the syrup to your cherries cooking on the stove and stir. Add 1/4 c water and 1/4 c of the maraschino cherries and do whatever you’d like with the rest of them. Keep cooking until cherries are submerged in liquid. Gradually add cornstarch and continue stirring until fully incorporated. Keep cooking until mixture is looking very thick, like pie filling. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely, at least 2 hours.
Crush one of your packs of graham crackers and pour into the bottom of a freezer safe serving dish. Then, add the tub of cocowhip followed by your cherry filling. Crush the other pack of graham crackers and sprinkle on top. Sprinkle with berries or the rest of your maraschino cherries. Place in the freezer for an hour, then place in the fridge until ready to serve, preferably at least overnight.
Tips/Things I Would Change:
- Cocowhip is very similar to cool whip. It is available at many grocery stores, Walmart, Target, or to order on So Delicious’s website.
- Cherries do take a while to pit, but it’s much easier if you clean your hands and just do it that way. You can also get a device that will do it for you on Amazon.
- You could also use frozen cherries or a different fruit in replacement to make this even quicker.
- You may need to add more/less cherries depending on how big your cherries are.